Tuesday, April 7, 2020
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
WASHINGTON (April 2, 2020) – In the aftermath of the immediate Coronavirus crisis, and influenced by data needs associated with that crisis, Congress will be under intense pressure to modify U.S. privacy enforcement to enable health officials to monitor and track progress of future pandemics.
Moderated by TPI Fellow and President Emeritus Thomas Lenard, the virtual panel takes place on Tuesday, April 7, at 2:30 pm (EDT).
“The standard debate on the U.S. ex post enforcement model versus GDPR and CCPA has obscured the more fundamental questions that may be even more important, particularly in the context of a major health crisis: How to make the inevitable tradeoffs and who should be responsible for making them,” Lenard said. “These questions need to be addressed to assure that any new privacy regime yields net benefits relative to the current U.S. approach.”
Panelists for the April 7 TPI virtual panel include:
- Jane Bambauer, Professor of Law, University of Arizona
- Julie Brill, Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Global Privacy and Regulatory Affairs, Microsoft
- Alan Raul, Partner and Leader, Privacy, Data Security and Information Law Practice, Sidley Austin LLP
- Liad Wagman, Senior Economic and Technology Advisor Office of Policy Planning, Federal Trade Commission
Among the questions the TPI virtual panel will address:
- Is the current U.S. approach to privacy inadequate and, if so, in what way?
- What harms should be addressed that are not being addressed currently?
- How should harms be defined?
- What are the tradeoffs?
- Who should make them?
- What are the potential uses of data to address coronavirus and evaluate various measures? Are they problematic? Are they precluded by current law?
- Has the tradeoff changed due to the coronavirus? If so, how?
- Will privacy legislation be affected by coronavirus pandemic?
Event Contact: Ashley Benjamin, 301-653-1292, [email protected]
Press Contact: David Fish, 571-389-4446, [email protected]
The Technology Policy Institute
The Technology Policy Institute is a non-profit research and educational organization that focuses on the economics of innovation, technological change, and related regulation in the United States and around the world. More information is available at www.techpolicyinstitute.org/.
*You can also join via:
US: +16465588656,,285128911# or +13126266799,,285128911#
Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782
Webinar ID: 285 128 911
International numbers available:https://zoom.us/u/adnOfF6n35