Wednesday January 16, 2019
12:00 – 1:30 PM
National Press Club
529 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20045
To discuss these issues, TPI has assembled a group of experts for a lunch panel on the topic, “Privacy: The Way Forward.” The panel will address questions related to the federal government’s role, including:
- Do the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and perhaps other state legislation mean that federal legislation is needed?
- If so, what should it contain? Should it preempt the states?
- Has the current FTC ex post enforcement approach based on actual harms been successful? Should the U.S. move to an ex ante regulatory approach similar to the GDPR and CCPA?
- What should the respective roles of the Administration, Congress, and the FTC be?
Panel participants include:
- Roslyn Layton, Visiting Scholar, American Enterprise Institute
- Maureen Ohlhausen, former Commissioner and Acting Chairwoman, Federal Trade Commission
- Alan Raul, Founder and Leader, Sidley Austin Privacy and Data Security, and Information Law practice
- Gail Slater, Special Assistant to the President for Tech, Telecom, and Cyber Policy, White House National Economic Council
- Thomas Lenard (moderator), Senior Fellow and President Emeritus, Technology Policy Institute
Event Contact: Ashley Benjamin, 202-828-4405, [email protected]
The Technology Policy Institute
The Technology Policy Institute is a non-profit research and educational organization that focuses on the economics of innovation, technological change, and related regulation in the United States and around the world. More information is available at www.techpolicyinstitute.org/.