An introduction to the gaming market
Esports and video games are increasingly popular ways to spend leisure time. In fact, American adults spent 92 million hours on gaming in 2018. The COVID19 pandemic has led to even more gaming, as people are inside with limited options for entertainment. Given gaming’s global ubiquity, it is becoming increasingly important to understand the industry.
A new paper by the Technology Policy Institute’s Lindsay Poss provides an overview of the gaming market and looks at how trends in time spent on gaming might affect the advertising market. Key insights from her paper:
- 2.5 billion people per year play games worldwide.
- Viewers watched 12.3 billion hours of game streaming content in 2019.
- Time spent on gaming increased for all age groups from 2019-2019.
- If people are instead spending their time playing games or viewing game streams, there is less time to spend on traditional content.
- Gaming reaches valuable audiences.
To learn more about the gaming market and why it is important, read her paper here:
Contact: Lindsay Poss, [email protected]
The Technology Policy Institute
The Technology Policy Institute is a non-profit research and educational organization that focuses on the economics of innovation, technological change, and related regulation in the United States and around the world. More information is available at https://techpolicyinstitute.org/.