Today we kick off the Research Roundup, a new feature on the TPI blog. This semi-regular series highlights recently published articles and working papers related to our research interests by authors outside of the Technology Policy Institute.
TPI scholars do not necessarily agree with all the articles featured here—in fact, some of us may disagree completely with authors’ arguments or conclusions. Nevertheless, we believe that promoting literature on different sides of these debates encourages well-rounded and informed discussion.
These papers are typically culled from new postings on SSRN, but we will include new papers from multiple sources. If you are the author of a newly authored research paper relating to technology policy and wish to be included in a future entry, please send it our way.
The articles are organized loosely by category and are listed only once though they may relate to multiple topics. Enjoy!
- “Net Neutrality Regulation: The Economic Evidence”
Jerry Brito, Martin E. Cave, Robert W. Crandall, et al.
- “Modeling the Welfare Effects of Net Neutrality Regulation: A Comment on Economides and Tåg”
Kevin W. Caves
- “Non-Discrimination or Just Non-Sense: A Law and Economics Review of the FCC’s New Net Neutrality Principle”
George S. Ford, Lawrence J. Spiwak
Wireless and Spectrum
- “Mobile Termination, Network Externalities, and Consumer Expectations”
Sjaak Hurkens, Angel Luis Lopez
- “Evolution of Mobile Banking Regulations and Problems Faced”
Arvind Ashta, Martina Rani Kopala
- “Mass Customization in Wireless Communication Services: Individual Services and Tariffs”
Hong Chen, L.F. Pau
Economics of the Internet
- “A Dynamic Model of User Behavior in a Social Network Site”
Dae-Yong Ahn, Randal Watson
- “Web-Based Non-Financial Disclosure and Cost of Finance”
Raf Orens, Walter Aerts, Denis Cormier
- “The Complex Interaction between Global Production Networks, Digital Information Systems and International Knowledge Transfers”
Jarle Hildrum, Dieter Ernst, Jan Fagerberg
- “Telecommunications in the African Small Island Developing States”
- “Challenges of Internet Adoption of Banks in Ghana”
Nnamdi O. Madichie
Privacy and Security
“Contextual Gaps: Privacy Issues on Facebook”
Gordon Hull, Heather Richter Lipford, Celine Latulipe
Competition and Antitrust
“Semi-Collusion on Investments in the Mobile Internet Market”
“New Governance for the Internet: Findings, Taxonomy and Model”
Pierre De Vries
“Explaining Telecoms and Electricity Internationalization in the European Union: A Political Economy Perspective”
Judith Clifton, Daniel Díaz-Fuentes, Julio Revuelta