An introduction to the gaming market
Esports and video games are increasingly popular ways to spend leisure time. In fact, American adults spent 92 million hours on gaming in 2018. The COVID19 pandemic has led to even more gaming, as people are inside with limited options for entertainment. Given gaming’s global ubiquity, it is becoming increasingly important to understand the industry.
- 2.5 billion people per year play games worldwide.
- Viewers watched 12.3 billion hours of game streaming content in 2019.
- Time spent on gaming increased for all age groups from 2019-2019.
- If people are instead spending their time playing games or viewing game streams, there is less time to spend on traditional content.
- Gaming reaches valuable audiences.